Stewart Pinkerton

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

On 20 Jul 2004 22:55:00 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

I believe CDs are superior because I can make a CD-R copy of an LP
which sounds *exactly* like the original LP. That leads to the
reasonable conclusion that the digital medium is sonically
transparent, which LP most definitely isn't. I have had Goldring,
Thorens and Michell tables, Lenco, SME, Mission and Rega arms, and
Fidelity Research, Ortofon, Decca, and Audio-Technica carts. Oh yes,
and a V-15 which was certainly one of the better carts................

Quite frankly, Stewart, if the V-15 was one of your better carts, then you
haven't even begun to tap what a SOTA MC/headamp/preamp chain can do.

Quite frankly, Harry, if you never appreciated the superb quality of
the V-15, then you didn't have it set up properly - or could it be
that you you have the typical 'high end' bias that low-output MCs are
somehow intrinsically superior to high-output MMs? As it happens, I do
use an A-T OC9 with a SOTA preamp, but I wouldn't say that it
'outclasses' a modern V-15 with an equally good preamp - especially on
'hot' records like Telarcs and most direct-cuts.