Nousaine

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

B&D wrote:

On 7/20/04 6:46 PM, in article
, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

That the listener, and not the cable gets broken in? I would think that

the
marketing departments at the cable companies would NOT say that.

My mistake, I was of course referring to the idea that cables get broken

in,
which is a steaming heap of B.S.

I wouldn't use such a colorful (& smelly) method of description, but I
haven't seen any evidence of this personally, though I have noticed that in
some audio cables it can influence the sound (usually in a detrimental
manner) - mostly the expensive ones ....

I've conducted three experiments that exactly bear on this issue. In each of
these cases I had 12-inch woofers which were conditioned by the manufacturer to
require 24,48 and 150 hours of "break-in" to perform optimally. In the last
case I asked to manufacturer to provide 4 samples at least one of which had
been subjected to the 150 hour break-in period prior to delivery.

Here's what I found. In the first 2 cases the woofers pre/post break-in
performance was identical.

By this I mean that when the voice coil was still hot after break-in there were
differences in measured paramters (lower Fs, increased Vas, and increased Re)
but enclosure simulations delivered tbe same optimal enclosure but installing
the woofer in a box and measuring and listening to the sound showed they
sounded exactly the same.

Interestingly I found that the woofer that required 48 hours of break-in; where
I followed break-in of impedance measurements at 1-hour intervals, had a slowly
falling Fsb that settled after several hours, BUT slowly drifted back to its
original value after an overnight rest.

In my opinion speakers will "warm-up" but it doesn't change their sound and if
you let the speaker rest overnight you're right back where you started.