Nousaine

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

"Michael McKelvy" wrote:

"B&D" wrote in message
On 7/19/04 7:34 PM, in article cUYKc.122965$IQ4.70903@attbi_s02, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

I think, though, it is an apples to oranges a bit - because the

mastering
standards of CD has only recently reached the potential of the medium.

Just
as SACD comes on the horizon.

Nonsense. There have been great sounding CD's and Mastering since about

10
minutes after the first recording engineers got their hands on the

format.

Which recording engineers would that be?

Most of the ones recording Classical music and any number of
expierienced-not-afraid-to-learn engineers involved in other types of music.

Including the great John Eargle (Delos.)

The only real stinkers I've heard were those thaty started with a bad
master.

Some of the claimed "offenders" simply still had the highs on them that were on
the master but sometimes ground off an lp after several plays.

Listening to some 70s popular/rock lps (most recently Joy of Cooking, Terry
Garthwaite and Toni Brown) that have been transcribed to cd-r reminded me at
how thin and hot many of those recordings were. I'm guessing that some of them
were produced in anticipation of radio air-play and perhaps to accomodate
musicians, engineers and producers who had too much live "concert" experience.

No matter, these are downright schreeeeeechy. And always were. These recordings
were dubbed straight off the lp.