Harry Lavo

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

I said:
The hobby is still called high-fi and that has a meaning. Anything

that
gets us closer to the intent of the artist by removing distortion,

noise,
compression, or whatever might be hiding the choices made by the

artist
and
the engineer is a benefit. I don't really care about other

preferences,
they are yours and you're welcome to them, but if they include things

like
flawed playback devices, they are LOWER-fi.

Unfortunately, the hobby hasn't been called "high-fi" in many
years...high-end audio has replaced that terminology.

That should make you think. Why was the term Hi-Fi abandoned?

Could it be that it the real advancements have been done?

No, I think the phrase "high-end" was coined by Harry Pearson in the early
days of TAS, to define companies that were primarily listening-oriented vs.
measurement-oriented, because everything was called "hi-fi" in those days,
including stuff that measured well but sounded like dreck...mostly mid-fi
stuff that was positioned as "hi-fi". Harry, from the beginning, made a
point of noting that he was talking about where (how high, or how exalted)
they set their company's "mission", not their price. So a lot of not very
expensive gear was reviewed as well as some very expensive stuff. For
example, NAD was considered high end. Yamaha was not. And that distinction
was deserved based on the sound of the day.