goFab.com

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

On 19 Jul 2004 22:31:15 GMT, in article , Michael
McKelvy stated:

All recording/playback systems are flawed. I'm just looking for the best
overall playback system I can afford and the best issues of my favorite
recordings. For me that is the path which brings me to what I percieve to

be
higher fidelity to live music and that which makes live music intrinsicly

more
beautiful generally speaking.

And no one wants to deny you that, but the facts still lead to the
inevitable conclusion that solid state and CD get you closer than tubes and
vinyl.

I want a satisfying listening experience. For me, that means an absence of
obvious artifacts in the sound. Does it mean it has to sound like live music?
Well, what does that mean? I have been to live shows that made me ecstatic, and
live shows that I could not wait to leave. And, while I like many forms of
music that are recorded live or close to live, I love electronic music that has
no existence whatsoever outside of an electronic playback medium.

I have concluded that this is an irretrievably subjective medium and that
magazines and reviewers can get you in the zone of good sound, but the final
fine tuning is all up to the listener and nobody else.

By the way, I have a pretty good analog rig, and yet I agree that all the claims
about how analog is inevitably superior to digital are way overdone. Digital
these days, done right, sounds exceptionally good.