Harry Lavo

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
news:t6YKc.120975$%_6.14466@attbi_s01...
"t.hoehler" wrote in message
news:9mXKc.120706$%_6.77017@attbi_s01...

Ditto the above, especially if he switched from open-reel to DAT and
didn't
notice a difference (other than, arguably, convenience). I record

using
both, and the DAT's (Panasonic 3700's) definitely "lean out" and

"sharpen"
the sound compared to tape and live feed (albeit this is subtle).

DAT and CD-R are wonderful archiving tools. They are not the last

word
in
sound reproduction media.

But Harry, they _are_ the last word, for when all the vinyl is too
worn

play back, then our archived CD's or digital what have you's _will_
be

the
de facto standard. I realize that to this day, we are finding better

and
better ways to play back the 78 rpm format, and that is heartening.
BUT,
there is a fidelity limit with 78's and when you hit that wall,
brother,

you
have hit that wall. Same way with LP's. There is a limit to their

fidelity,
especially if that rare vinyl has some play on it, and the previous

playback
was done with equipment not kind to vinyl. Once the damage to the

grooves
is
done, it's done. All the hand wringing, all the super duper arms,
carts,
stable tables, magic moon rocks etc etc are NOT going to bring back
the
limited fidelity that was there in the first place. Sorry, but that's

the
plain truth, and no hoping and wishing will make it any different. So

get
cracking and transfer that vinyl before it's too late! This ain't the
fifties anymore, can't just run down to Tower Records and pick up a

pristine
copy of that old LP.
Regards,
Tom

Can't argue with you in theory, but the records and original tapes I
have
recorded to DAT lose enough that I have stopped and am exploring other
options...going directly to HD at 96k or perhaps to a Masterlink and
then

96k 24 bit disks. My beef isn't digital per se although it is only at
the
very highest level that it can compete with analog; it is the 44.1 /
16bit
CD standard per se as exemplified by the 3700 which I object to as

"perfect
sound forever".

Utter nonsense, be brave do a double blind comparison of 44.1 compared
any other digital format and see if you can tell any difference.

As to Vinyl vs CD think of the difference between VHS and DVD, that's
the
difference between LP and CD. Everything on the CD is cleaner sharper
and
more real.

With all due respect, that is your opinion but one I do not share.

As to double blind, it is very difficult to do with LP because there is
always some noise artifact to give it away. But I have done a lot of
level-matched comparisons, and done them for friends / fellow audiophiles
who were predisposed to CD (some of whom didn't even own vinyl...then..but
do now). Flawed as the comparison may have been in your eyes, it made
believers out of them.