Arny Krueger

Frank Stearns wrote:
"Arny Krueger" writes:

Thank you for your observations, but please -- could you describe

your
room where you're making these peceptual observations -- LEDE?

RFZ?
Hybrid? Other? Any acoustical treatment at all?

Let's make it easy and do our listening tests with some

really-pretty
good headphones - say HD 580s.

I was waiting for someone to mention headphones. And while in theory
this would be great, in practice (for me, anyway) using headphones
just never seems to cut it other than for a few limited

applications.

Silly me. I use them for all sorts of things.

Mixing with phones, for example, can result in mixes that are a
little odd and don't translate well.

So can mixing with the wrong speakers or the wrong person mixing.

With phones monitoring some
things are overemphasized, others are lost.

You never mix on the playback system that everybody uses. Therefore,
mixing is lots about translation. Learning to make mixes on one set of
monitors, and have them translate well on a goodly selection of other
listening systems is a matter of learning.

It would seem that many mixing and mastering engineers feel the

same,
otherwise why bother with buiding the really good rooms one finds at
reputable and well-known studios around the world?

It's kind of hard to fit two people in one set of headphones.

Be cheaper by
orders of magnitude to just hand everybody a pair of phones. But we
don't do that -- I wonder why. (There's probably a doctoral thesis

in
there somewhere.)

Phones for these evals *might* work, but I'd prefer to use a good
room, if available.

One nice things about being able to track, monitor and mix on
headphones is that they are easier to carry around than a good
sounding room.