Frank Stearns

"Arny Krueger" writes:

Thank you for your observations, but please -- could you describe

your
room where you're making these peceptual observations -- LEDE? RFZ?
Hybrid? Other? Any acoustical treatment at all?

Let's make it easy and do our listening tests with some really-pretty
good headphones - say HD 580s.

I was waiting for someone to mention headphones. And while in theory this
would be great, in practice (for me, anyway) using headphones just never
seems to cut it other than for a few limited applications. Mixing with
phones, for example, can result in mixes that are a little odd and don't
translate well. With phones monitoring some things are overemphasized,
others are lost.

It would seem that many mixing and mastering engineers feel the same,
otherwise why bother with buiding the really good rooms one finds at
reputable and well-known studios around the world? Be cheaper by orders of
magnitude to just hand everybody a pair of phones. But we don't do that --
I wonder why. (There's probably a doctoral thesis in there somewhere.)

Phones for these evals *might* work, but I'd prefer to use a good room, if
available.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio