Kevin Aylward

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Just considering a 1% distortion of a speaker for 1% verses 1.01%
should tell one something about how dubious to be able to detect
0.01% differances.

If the 1% is all second harmonic distortion and the 0.1% is high order
non-harmonic trash, it's not dubious at all.

I addressed this in another post. Its why I use the figure of 0.01%. I
don't claim that this figure is necessary, but I do claim that it is
sufficient.

Again, we have to compare this with the Doppler distortion of the
speakers themselves, in addition to harmonic distortions and
intermodulaton. That is the distortion cused by HF sounds being
generated by a source that is moving at some LF, say 100Hz.

High end audio is a scam to make money. Its that simple.

Much of it is, but what does that have to do with anything?
--scott

Because someone made an assertion of:

I can give you two amps with similarly low high-level distortion
figures, which sound audibly different in a very obvious way

I disagreed with that assertion.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.