Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Soundproof wall

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 3:34:52 AM UTC-4, G wrote:
JackA wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 12:30:57 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

Is there any effective way to provide better soundproofing by
installing a second layer of sheetrock with better sound blocking
qualities?

Any suggested materials or construction techniques would be much
appreciated.

Lead, 1/4" Thick, I'm serious!

** Makes the room nuclear radiation proof too !!!

That would come in handy, these days!!!

You can buy loaded vinyl. Heavy and probably expensive. I was cleaning out
an xray lab and saw a roll, looked like a floor mat. I went to pick it up,
must have been at least 60 lbs.

Yikes!!

One idea to add weight and stiffness that should be easy for the OP to
do himself is gluing ceramic tiles onto the offending wall.

Often bargain priced wall and floor tiles available in limited
quantities - the OP sounds like he needs a few hundred, 12 inch square
tiles to cover his wall, plus a gallon or two of contact adhesive.

Interesting!!

Does anyone remember the poor man's sound deadening, staple paper egg
cartons to the wall or whatever? Just the shape helps curb sound reflecting.
Seem to recall, sound pressure must be absorbed and changed to heat!

Jack

Weight is usually the key. Egg carton will just scatter higher freqs.

If it were are hard material, yes. Can't see how cardboard like material can reflect high frequencies. Besides, their shape is ideal. I'm talking old egg cartons, maybe they're now sold in metal containers to protect the free roaming chicken's gold!

Jack

Greg