Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Quad II question: High B+ a problem?

"Patrick Turner"

I recently rebuilt a couple of Quad II's from what was pretty bad shape
with parts missing etc. Everything now works and sounds great and even
looks mostly original... except for the highish B+ Im getting. This is the
new configuration:

Rectifier tube (5AR4) - 33uF/450v - the original choke - 47uF/450v

I am not sure you know what you are doing.

** The OP knows - his description is of the entire DC supply circuitry.

The changes are the rectifier and filter cap values.

Well, from what he was saying,it looked like he didn't know all that could
be known,

** What a ****ing asinine, out of context, thing to say.

You don't need to do every single thing I usually do to old Quads to get
better music from them. The use of a single 180r common cathode Rk is
terrible.

** Hardly a fair comment seeing as it works so well with the specified
output valves ( and most 6L6GCs ) long as they are still in good condition.

Yes but anyone can build a better amp than the Quad-II,

** So ****ing what ?

..... Phil