Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Quad II question: High B+ a problem?

Good to hear that 6L6GCs work well at 360v in your amps. Parallelled cathode
resistors must result in less heat, nice solution.

** Same amount of heat - just more spread around ..

My pair must be late production, serials in the 70xxx range,

** My one has s/n 8734

because they have no voltage selector beside the fuse and no Bulgin power
connector. Instead there was just a hole for what I think had been an early
IEC C10 plug. So I could fit modern grounded 3 prong IEC there without any
drilling. It seems that Quad made some different chassis configurations for
different markets?

** German products once used an odd IEC like connector with two pins and
ground via the casing.

Same panel cut out I think, see them on old "Dynacord" amps and " Echolette"
tape units from the 1960s.

Im in two minds about the Jones connector.

** Schizophrenia is hard to cure....

On one hand it looks retro funky.

** Huh ? Looks appalling to me.

The only giveaway that the amps have been modified is that I placed AC
switches where the fuse holders were. But they are old British chromed
switches and look contemporary. The fuses are now inside the enclosures.

** You have just given me an idea....

..... Phil