Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

Default Cassette Decks

wrote in message

SNIP

knowing when it's advisable to go forward
using them, or, in the case of others, when nothing else
will do but re-track the session g. Or, in this case, it
might enable you to resurrect old tapes which you couldn't
otherwise with the equipment you've got to hand.

Richard's got it. You can talk about how the Dragon is old technology, or
you had a Nakamichi that wasn't what you wanted it to be, or Capstan is a
cruch with the potential to do more harm than good, but the fact remains
that there are some cassettes that have recorded material that someone
believes worth preserving/polishing at whatever cost. I've had clients
willing to pay whatever it took to retrieve material from old 8 track
cassettes, from the audio track on 1/2 inch video tape, from wire
recordings, from almost every other medium used to store audio. I'd be
interested to hear if anyone has found a powdered or liquid lubricant that
can overcome some of the tape squeal problems I've encountered with
cassettes and some older 1/4 inch tapes. I've baked a few, but it would be
cool to have a micro-spritzer with some magic juice that could take care of
squeal of the non-sticky shed variety.

Steve