Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default turntable nightmare

"jakdedert" wrote in message
I think one of the reasons today's audio gear is so "bad" has a lot

do with the fact that hi-fi audio is not a popular hobby any more.

The difference is that a good $500 amp from the 70's can often be found
at yard sale prices today. Many were built very well and still meet

spec.
So the real issue becomes a $50 (used) amp WAY outperforming a modern
$500 amp...and possibly equal to a modern $4000 amp. For my money....

Sure, quite possible. But how does that apply to the assertion that

today's
gear is "bad", simply because S/H gear might be cheaper?

In your case, for the $100 that you (the OP? I don't even remember at
this point.) spent on a crappy new turntable. From a thrift store, eBay
or a pawn shop, you could have gotten much more for your money. That
you didn't is a shame, but given that you won't divulge the details,
there's no easy way to help...or even a way to determine if you've
actually have a problem.

I have NO problem, I simply responded to what was written.
What YOU are responding to I have no idea.

IOW, it's not that new gear is crappy (although it seems to be the case
these days for anything less than 'high end'), it's that really good
used gear is available at absolute bargain prices.

Which was never in dispute (for those who can tell what is "really good"
anyway)

The mainstream hifi
stuff sold in the 70's was *on an average* better quality...both in spec
and build quality.

And without quoting relative dollars, this statement has NO meaning
whatsoever.
The *average* hifi gear in the 70's cost FAR more than today in real terms.

IMHO, it's doubtful that much of the stuff sold today from Circuit City
or Best Buy is going to be sought after or collectible (or even still
working?) 30 years from now.

And nobody will care since they are not spending 3 months wages on it any
more!
There will be better stuff available for even less (real) money quite
probably. And by then China will probably have caught up with the rest of
the world, and the cheap gear will be made in Africa instead.

MrT.