Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Multiple spaces in recordings

wrote:

there can be "multiple spaces in real life.

Again
sources close to you lack reverberation.
source far from you are reverberate.

This was recorded at a rehearsal* and the overall sound picture is the
one you would ideally get from a short distance above and behind the
conductor's head. As a mic could not be placed at that position

because
it was obscured by a heavy overhanging balcony, some trickery was
involved, but I hope it is not too obvious. There was no artificial
reverb, no multi-tracking (other than the two stereo tracks) and no
post-production other than editing out a few starts and stops.

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/BSBf/P...Dances0286.mp3

interestingly Aretha Franklin's RESPECT came up on my ipod this
morning. She has a good amount or reverb, but the "backup singers" are
dry.

It works for me.

Yes, as long as you don't try to create a mental image of the singers in
a room. I try to form a mental picture of the layout of the recording
room and the placement of the performers in it, so it wouldn't work for
me.

Listening on an iPod is hardly a fair way of comparing the accuracy of
stereo recordings - that's why professional recording engineers don't do
it that way. If you listen on a professional stereo system with
suitably-positioned loudspeakers matched for amplitude and phase, your
ears should be able to place the layout of the instruments in the brass
band recording and give you some idea of the room they were recorded in.

You will find that 'imaging' impossible to do in the recording you have
described, where the performers have been given different acoustic
treatment from each other. Whether you are irritated by this will
depend on what you have become used to.

There is also the question of performers 'performing to the acoustics';
professional performers will vary the performance to suit the room they
are performing in. It can sometimes be very obvious when a good
singer, who is used to giving live performances, has made a studio
recording where the reverb was added later.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk