Scott Dorsey

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

In article ,
A. & G. Reiswig wrote:
Very cool...thanks for the reference. I can't find very much about his tube
mic pre on the net...wondering how it compares to the VMP-2. Anybody?

It's similar in overall design. I think he's using the same input
transformers, even. The VMP-2 has a tone control section, though.

And no, I'm not "stuck" on a tube pre, but I get the feeling that (as with a
guitar amp) being able to vary the gain and barely start to distort the
preamp tube might make a tube pre more versatile than a similar SS pre. Not
that you can't overdrive a SS pre, just that it wouldn't sound as good.
True?

Depends. On a lot of solid state preamps, the input transformer will
saturate before the preamp itself clips. Some people like that. Then
again, I know folks who like to run transformerless preamps into clipping
on kick drum tracks to get a more clicky sort of sound.

I'm not a big fan of overloading things myself, but your mileage may vary.