Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jim Gibson[_2_] Jim Gibson[_2_] is offline

Default audicity to record streaming audio

In article V0LKl.25254$Db2.21655@edtnps83, Dave
wrote:

I'm obviously missing something very very basic. I've heard it tossed about
that 192Kbps is about where you need to be with mp3 encoding rate for CD
quality, yet CD's are recorded at ~20% of that sample rate. ???
Regarding my last statement, I meant that I didn't want to make my 32kpbs
feed sound any worse.

CDs are recorded at 44,100 16-bit samples per second per channel. So
that is 44100 x 16 x 2 = 1,411,200 bits/second, considerably more than
192Kbps. The difference is compression, which CDs do not have but MP3
does.

--
Jim Gibson