Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Default audicity to record streaming audio

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote ...
I guess my last statement of which you speak illustrates the depth of my
non-understanding. You have a source which is 64KHz or 64,000 samples
per second. It sounds pretty crappy compared to a commercial CD, which
is recorded at 44,100 samples per second.

Why is this?

I'm obviously missing something very very basic. I've heard it tossed
about that 192Kbps is about where you need to be with mp3 encoding rate
for CD quality, yet CD's are recorded at ~20% of that sample rate. ???
Regarding my last statement, I meant that I didn't want to make my 32kpbs
feed sound any worse.

Sample rate of 44,100 K (CD quality) = 1,411.2 Kbps !
(assuming 2-channel stereo @ 16-bit depth)

You seem to be confusing uncompressed sampling rate with
compressed bit rate.

Ooh, dim bulb just went on. Each sample is then comprised of 16 bits? That
is the relationship I was looking for.

So, uh, taking my 32kpbs streaming rate as an example, I'd divide this by
the bit depth and divide again by the number of channels to determine the
sample rate... recording at 16-bit depth:

32,000 / (16 x 2) = 1000 or 1K sample rate to maintain equivalent quality.
Yes?