Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Default audicity to record streaming audio

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 5/1/2009 1:47 PM Dave spake thus:

That last statement kinda doesn't make sense: you wouldn't want to lose
quality if you had any to begin with, but you're saying that what you're
recording is of "marginal fidelity" anyhow, so it's less of a concern.

If what you're recording is at 32K, then all you need is 32K. There's no
point in recording at a higher resolution than your source, right?
(Assuming you can determine what exactly the bitrate of the source is.)

I guess my last statement of which you speak illustrates the depth of my
non-understanding. You have a source which is 64KHz or 64,000 samples per
second. It sounds pretty crappy compared to a commercial CD, which is
recorded at 44,100 samples per second.

Why is this?

I'm obviously missing something very very basic. I've heard it tossed about
that 192Kbps is about where you need to be with mp3 encoding rate for CD
quality, yet CD's are recorded at ~20% of that sample rate. ???
Regarding my last statement, I meant that I didn't want to make my 32kpbs
feed sound any worse.