Mirek

Default Mac problem - flashing question mark? will not boot up

1) Boot up your machine from your Mac OS CD-ROM startup disk.

2) Locate and open the "Utilities" folder on your OS CD-ROM

3) Inside of that folder you will find the "Drive Setup" program.

4) Double-click on the "Drive Setup" program. Once it opens, it will
show you a list of all available SCSI devices on your machine. It
will certainly show your CD-ROM drive, and hopefully, you will also
see your missing Hard Drive in that list.

If you can see your "Mac OS", "Mac HD", or whatever your named your
MIA drive in the list of available SCSI devices, click on it's name
and highlight it.

5) With the name of your HD higlighted, open the "Functions" menu.

6) Select and click on the "Update Driver"

Maybe all that is wrong is that your driver is corrupted ... Be
careful, so you don't initialize/format your drive by accident. Try
this ... maybe it will revive your drive ... This will help if your
missing HD uses Apple Drivers, if not ... this will not work ...

As others suggested already, make sure you remove all external and
internal devices other than the stock drives that came with your Mac,
since one or more of your non-stock SCSI devices may not be properly
terminated and hang the SCSI chain ...

Good luck,

Mirek

"WideGlide" wrote in message . net...
Quick question..... just tried to turn my Mac on, and instead of getting the
little smiling face while it's booting up, I get a picture of a floppy disc
with a flashing question mark over it.... and it remains this way. Turned
it off and tried to restart it about 5 times, same thing every time. Can
anyone give me any insight as to what is going on here? Computer has been
running fine for months, and I have not altered anything at all in a very
long time. There is really no reason for anything to not be working
correctly, unless there was some sudden failure. Please don't tell me that
my hard drive just died. Any help appreciated. wg