Bob Marcus

Default more rules of $4k challenge questions

Buster Mudd wrote:

Yet I got the impression from Bob Marcus' earlier statement if a
difference is really heard, it will be the result of
resistance-related (or perhaps inductance/capacitance related)
frequency response anomalies that the "objectivists" were allowing
that differences may be discernable, they were just attributable to
fundamentals of electricity rather than voodoo & flooby-dust.

snip

So is it safe to conclude that you (Mr. Pinkerton) & Mr. Marcus are
not in complete agreement on what the claims of the "Snake Oil
Advocates" actually are, or how one would go about disproving their
allegations? Bob says there might be differences but those
differences have their origins in basic principles, not magical
properties; Stewart says there aren't differences, period. Have I got
that right?

Nope. Stewart and I are in agreement. If we weren't, he wouldn't be
insisting on the level-matching that has you so perplexed, would he? I'm
just trying to explain why he's insisting on it, although I get the
impression I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. (Just
remember--many audiophiles don't believe it.)

I think you've missed the contribution of one other participant here, Chung,
who said:

By the way, you're overly concerned with the requirement that Stewart
laid down. I would say that 95+% of all cables, zip-cord or boutique,
meet that requirement handily.

Unless there's something other than simple wire in that boutique cable (like
those funny little boxes with resistors inside), it's very likely that we
can buy cable off the shelf at Home Depot that will meet Stewart's
requirement. So you needn't worry that we're cooking the test.

Now, if there really are resistors in the signal path, all bets are off
unless we can put resistors in our signal path, too. But our resistors won't
cost hundreds of dollars.

bob

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!