Nousaine

Default Earphones for cable testing?

(---MIKE---) wrote:

Some posters have suggested that the movement of a listener's head by as
little as a few inches would alter the sound more than a change of
cables. I agree. That being said, why not run the test using
earphones? The greater sensitivity of the earphones should make the
test more sensitive.

-MIKE

Good suggestion. I did exactly that with my PSACS interconnect challenge. That
way I used only a cdplayer, and ABX comparitor with a Bryston power amplifier (
with headphone jack) and headphones as the complete system. I supplied a set of
akg 280s and an Etymotic Research ER-4s, Subjects were free to bring their own.
The headphones also helped reduce ambient noise significantly.

One of the subjects, a "designer" of a regionally branded wire, complained that
the headphones prevented his interconnect from "throwing a huge soundstage." So
we repeated the experiment the follwoing week just for him and he supplied his
own speaker wire and speakers. Guess what .......he still couldn't pick out his
own baby compared to a set of 'junk-box' rcas.