GT~

Default Great *sounding* CD recommendation?

"ric" wrote in message ...
~GT~ wrote:

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats

for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's

an
old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

Ah...the ignorant vote has been cast.

Ah, another anal-retentive audiophile. No, my subjective opinion has

been
cast.

Only that in quite sujective A-B tests, only those with a tin ear could
not hear the vast difference between CD and SACD. This isn't "oxygen
free copper" Monstercable marketing stuff. This is easily heard. I feel
sorry for those whose hearing defeciency prevents them from hearing the
difference.

My hearing is just fine, ric. And yes, there is a difference, I never said
there wasn't. But not enough for me to justify replacing my current
collection with expensive SACD versions that might not be supported in 5
years should Sony lose out to DVD-A.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

? everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens

when
one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent

of
an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

So the players that play CD, SACD, DVD-A, et. al. don't really exist?

Did I say that they didn't exist at all?

Well, you said "Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to
cover everything." Yes, that's what you said in your own eloquent way.

And how many hybrid players are out there ric? That will support ALL
formats. That will play them back in an equal way?

Or does one have to buy a rack of different players in order to get the
maximum *aual* benefit that comes out of each format?

I suspect even that even with the few hybrid machines available, that the
latter point I made in my previous sentence is probably still the case....

Sure there are plenty of players
that will play CD and SACD. Or CD and DVD-A, but are there many that'll
play all three?

Dozens. With more being released every day.

And how about throwing video DVD in there as well.

Careful. Your ignorance is showing, again. Most SACD players *are* DVD-V
players. And *all* combo CD/SACD/DVD-A players that I'm aware of will do
DVD-V, too.

And do they play them all to the maximum benefit you would get, as you would
with seperate stand-alone players for each format?

Oh and...let's
see...MP3, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, VCD, etc...

All of the above (except maybe DVD*R/RW, I'm not sure) being included
is the norm. Kinda kills your above statement that "...And what happens
when one format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the
equivalent of an old laserdisc or DAT player." Are you suffering from
"foot in mouth" disease?

ALL of the ABOVE?? Sounds too good to be true. Probably is.

Are you sure you're not suffering from "Consumer Lemming" disease?

Gotta save on all that shelf space, ya know....

I did.

I'll 'bet'....

Or you have a player that will play both and you are one of the lucky

(sic)
few and because you have one you think everybody else out there has one,

or
is supposed to have one.

No. I was just making a suggestion to the OP, who was on a quest for
great sound. You changing your stance from your original "

No, you were making a suggestion that by default, he go out and spend lots
of money and turn himself into an audiophile.

You'd make an adequate shill for Sony. But only an 'adequate' one.