George M. Middius

Default Great *sounding* CD recommendation?

~GT~ said:

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche.

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing war. And
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out
with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....

They'll have to. We have no choice.

Excuse me, O Omniscient One. We have the choice NOW. The carmakers could
deliver a fleet that gets at least one-third better mileage within 18
months or less. The technology exists NOW. If they were to combine
hybrid engines with the better gasoline tech that's now getting dusty in
the storerooms, new cars would get double the mileage they get today.
This is reality, not drawing-board schemes.

Within the next 10 years, I predict all autos will be either hybrids or
fully electric, with hydrogen cars on the horizon after that.

I predict you're wrong. Time will tell.

Hydrogen powered engines are at least 25 years away, according to
experts in the industry and academe.

Will all CD players come standardized with DVD-A or SACD? Or will another
technology come along immediately thereafter and render these two obsolete
within a short period of time?

Maybe from the viewpoint you're espousing -- that the only
differentiator between optical drives is the quantity of features. The
divide you're contemplating is not about technology, though.

With LPs, we had 60 years. With CDs we've had almost 25.

How long will DVD-A or SACD be around?

Who will win?

Why torture yourself? Kal was right about the plethora of multi-format
players on the market. They start at $50 or so.