Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default Recording in a Remote(ish) Area

sav wrote:

Yes, they'd all know about the place and come over. These things take
time, but some sort of 'scene' should arise around it if we take a
fairly hands-off approach and let people experiment a bit. We could get
some 'cool' things like an electronic drum kit which would increase the
kudos of the place, and make the job a lot easier too, when it was used.
Lots of possibilities.

This is sounding less like a field recording trip and more like where
you're going when you retire and what you'd like to do when you get
settled there. Nothing wrong with that of course if you like the place
and like the music. But different from what I thought when I read your
first post.

Maybe something like a Yamaha 01V96

You don't like mixing with a mouse? You're going to hate that console's
user interface. It's pretty hard to use. I wouldn't recommend the new
Mackie dxb yet (I'm supposed to get one to play with but it hasn't
happened yet) but the old dxb digital console is one of the easiest to
use that's come along. Too bad that was discontinued too, in favor of a
whole new design rather than just an upgrade. Those go for peanuts on
eBay these days. That would definitely be worth getting two of if
you're going that far away from the home base because they're getting
close to the end of their support life.

OK I'll do some shopping around. this is helping though. I feel bad
about hassling a dealer I have no intention of buying off though. Unless
they can equal the web prices.

When it comes to new gear, most of the big dealers will match
legitimate web prices.