Stu Venable

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
I'm not sure I can put my finger on it, but the idea of starting a
new sub-newsgroup because the main group has "too many off-topic
threads" seems like a bad precedent and a bad solution to the problem.
It just doesn't seem right. Has such a thing ever happened before?
Perhaps it's just a sense that if this is done, "the terrorists,
er, trolls win."
The off-topic threads are not in any real sense related to RAP -
they're not about anything like live sound or video production, which
might each be justifiable for making new subgroups if appropriate
groups didn't already exist.

Firstly, if you try to create a group under the "big 8" hierarchy, which rec
is, specifically for the purpose of housing off-topic political posts, the
admins who will set up the newsgroups will say, "there are already tons of
newsgroups for politics, use one of those." (sound familiar)

Secondly, in the highly unlikely event the admins create the group, what
makes anyone think it'll get used?

Stu