Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Some People Haven't a Clue

On Friday, February 15, 2013 8:16:30 PM UTC-8, KH wrote:
On 2/14/2013 8:06 AM, Scott wrote:
=20
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:05:12 PM UTC-8, KH wrote:

=20
On 2/13/2013 3:10 PM, Scott wrote:

=20
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:54:15 AM UTC-8, Dick Pierce wrote:

=20
Scott wrote:

=20

=20
Maybe in some other neck of the woods. But all too often I

=20
see some folks dragging out Shannon/Nyquist and saying "see digital

=20
IS perfect."

=20

=20
I would like to see a direct quote from someone who

=20
made this assertion.

=20

=20
If you are asking for one I'll just show you one from one of my

=20
favorite sources of misinformation.

=20
"The Nyquist theorem (which is mathematically proven) says that

=20
the exact waveform can be reproduced if the original signal is

=20
frequency limited to less than half the sampling frequency."

=20

=20
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...3D98761&hl=3D=

nyquist+perfect
=20

=20
IMO "exact" and "perfect" are synonymous as used here. I can find

=20
more but you only asked for one.

=20

=20
You seem to have left out the clear caveat in the very next sentence;

=20
"The word "exact" gets a little shaky if the initial assumptions aren'=

=20
met (example: each sample is taken exactly on time.)"

=20

=20
Seriously? You think that makes it correct? You think that is all it ta=

kes?
=20
=20
=20
Well, yes. In fact that is all that is required to make it "correct".=20
=20
It still says *nothing* about "digital is perfect".

No "in fact" that is not all it takes. If that were all it took then bit de=
pth would be irrelevant to resolution.=20

=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
from which it is

=20
abundantly clear that the OP was decidedly Not implying "digital is

=20
perfect", merely that if "done perfectly" - an impossibility - the

=20
resulting waveform would be perfect, which IS clearly supported by

=20
information theory.

=20

=20
Really? So you don't believe in quantization error?

=20
=20
=20
In "sampling"? No. And sampling is what that statement relates to. I=20
=20
believe Dick Pierce has sufficiently addressed that.

Well that seems to be the problem. The statement is limited to sampling rat=
es and ignores the fact that quantization error is also a factor when it co=
mes to Nyquist. There can be no quanitization error for Nyquist to give us =
an "exact" copy of an analog signal. There is always some quantization erro=
r. So the claim "The Nyquist theorem (which is mathematically proven) says =
that the exact waveform can be reproduced if the original signal is frequen=
cy limited to less than half the sampling frequency." Is an "audio" myth.It=
doesn't happen in real AD conversion. Nyquist works perfectly and gives ex=
act waveforms on a mathematical level not on a practical level. but heck, a=
sine wave has infinite resolution on a mathematical level. On a mathematic=
al level both *audio myths* are actually true. Now I look forward to the ar=
guments that a sine wave doesn't have infinite resolution on a mathematical=
level. That will be fun.=20
=20
=20
=20

=20
And of course, you excised the context of the statement as well, in th=

at
=20
it was a response to the ludicrous claim that "...converting an analog

=20
signal into a discrete-time one (as it happens when converting from

=20
analog to digital) destroys the phase information in the two top octav=

es
=20
of the resulting spectrum. In a CD-standard digital recording, all pha=

se
=20
information are lost from 5.5kHz up to 22kHz,"

=20

=20
I don't see how the quote you provided has ANY relevance to your claim=

..
=20

=20

=20
People often see what they want to see.

=20
=20
=20
Yes, they do. And no one, with even a superficial objective reading,=20
=20
would construe the post you cited as saying "digital is perfect".
=20
=20

You really don't get to speak for anyone other than yourself.=20