Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Some People Haven't a Clue

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:14:07 PM UTC-8, Dick Pierce wrote:
Scott wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:41:41 PM UTC-8, Dick Pierce wrote:
Scott wrote:
"The Nyquist theorem (which is mathematically proven) says
that the exact waveform can be reproduced if the original
signal is frequency limited to less than half the sampling frequency."
The quote you supplied does NOT say that "digital is perfect."

In effect it does.

To you. It does not to me. It simply, to me, states that
when the nyquist criteria is met, and that means the
signal must be limited to less than half the sampling rate,
samplig does NOT lose any information needed to reproduce
an exact replica of the signal meeting the criterion.

If I might chime in here. That's not exactly correct. It is correct
as far as it goes, but I'm sure that you didn't mean to infer that
a musical performance recorded in 8-bit 32 KHz sampling rate
is going adequately reconstruct the actual original waveform?
Even given that the highs would be truncated at about 15 KHz,
which was once considered part of the definition of High-
Fidelity, the dynamic range of such a quantization would be
limited to about 48 dB and distortion would be very high compared
to 16-bit, 44.1 KHz.

At one time it was postulated that 8-bit, 32 KHz could work as a
viable consumer medium IF the analog signal were compressed
a la DBX before quantization and then expanded by the same
ratio after the D/A conversion on playback. The expander
would be a part of the player.

Second, exactly what is the myth, misinformation, whatever,
in statement you quoted, as you quoted it? Do you have
reason to believe that the Shannon/Nyquist sampling theorem
is incorrect?

No.

You proceed to contradict yourself:

But this represents exactly what I was talking about.
It is in reference to actual digitization of an actual
analog signal. So it is exactly the myth I claim is
constantly dragged out. The myth that one can cite
Shannon/Nyquist in support of the incorrect belief that
"the EXACT WAVEFORM CAN BE REPRODUCED if the ORIGINAL
(analog) SIGNAL is frequency limited to less than half the
sampling frequency.

ONLY if the sampling frequency and bit depth were adequate to
encompass the bandwidth of the signal being sampled. Without that
condition, one could argue that a modern telephone system could
reconstruct a symphony orchestra waveform completely and perfectly,
but of course, we all know it can't. It was designed to have enough
bandwidth and dynamic range to encompass voice, but no more. But if we
assume that a digital system is designed to encompass the entire audio
spectrum and is used to that end, then Nyquist/Shannon in quite
correct in anticipating that the outcome of the applied theorem will
be. It is NOT a myth or an overstatement of capability in any way
shape or form.