Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Sony CFS-D550 Boombox - International Version VS US Version

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012, wrote:

I realize that Krieger. I just wondered why the multi-band model wasn't
made for the States. There are quite a few uf us here who know how to
navigate world band and I like the combination of it with cassette and
auxiliary input that can be used for iPod.

It's marketing. Someone in Africa, for example, might be kind of
dependent on shortwave, so when they buy a boombox, they want that
capability. Someone in North America isn't likely to want shortwave if
they are buying a boombox. They'll buy a more special shortwave radio,
because they can afford it, because it's a secondary thing. In Africa, it
may be a primary thing, needing shortwave.

Chances are good it won't be a particularly good shortwave receiver.
Meanwhile, you could buy a standard boombox, making sure it has external
audio input jacks and then use it with any shortwave radio, getting much
better performance.

Michael