Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bennett.chris@virgin.net is offline

Default ARC SP8 too much Gain!

Hi,
I need some help with my ARC SP8. The manual talks about an option
to add a resistor - R28 (value - 39.2k) to cut gain by 6dB's in the
case of high efficiency speakers or high gain power amps. The usable
area of the Gain control is cramped right down into the first 3 or 4
clicks of the knob so it's either too loud or too quiet and fine
control is impossible. I guess I need to add resistor no. 28!!

Has anyone done this, and can they help me identify the correct
location for these resistors?

I'm a bit of an electronics virgin but I do see the position on the
circuit diagram where the resistor goes. However, I can't be 100%
sure that I've found the position for it on the unit. A double sided
circuit board doesn't help too much either! I am pretty confident at
soldering though. My assessment is that the position for the resistor
is on the underside of the board, on the right hand side. There are
two sets of metal posts that look like they could have been meant to
attach a resistor to and the components upstream & downstream of the
circuit tracks look like they are what the diagram shows. .

I'm fairly sure I'm right but I need some reassurance before I go
ahead & do it.
The first pair of these posts (one channel) are located just in front
of what I take to be a heat shield (a sheet of aluminium rising out of
the circuit board at 90 degrees. The second pair (the second channel)
are about 4 inches in front of these, right at the front of the unit.
The best way I had of confirming that these could indeed be the
positions was that they both showed 39.2k, which is the also value of
resistor 29, that the new resistors need to be wired in parallel
with.

Am I right in my assumption, or am I about to blow my preamp up??

I'd also like to know what would be the best type of resistor to get
to do the job with?

Would it be possible to add a higher value resistor to give me more
than 6 dB's if I need it - without compromising sound quality?

Thanks for any help you can offer.