Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default 8SN7 experiences

In article ,
keithr wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
bigwig wrote:
On 18 Jan, 12:17, Ian Bell wrote:
maaaaark wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:32:08 +1100, keithr wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!
It is a vacuum tube.
I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...
Anybody else tried these cheapies?
The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's
children
worrying about running out.
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
if this is anything to go by, they may be your childrens' inheritance!
Over $100 a pop for 6SN7s, what is the world coming to?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-RARE-6SN7-...-base-tubes-w-
apertures_W0QQitemZ400022572681QQihZ027QQcategoryZ 4193QQcmdZViewItemQQ_tr
ks*idZp1742.m153.l1262

Asking $100 a tube and actually getting it are two different things.
I get a page not responding error message when I try the link.

Cheers

Ian- Hide quoted text -

I think they must have sold! There is one US metal base job selling in
the UK for 100 odd quid, I cant find it now because of the random way
I found it. I was looking for GM70 then just looking at the sellers
stuff. It could have been 6C33 also. Some of the Russian sellers seem
to be the same people ie.use the same wording same shop set up etc. I
bought some PIO caps and nixies from Russia and they are absolutely
great quality. Guess they have to make some money somehow.
Matt.

I did find it in the end - looks like some fool actually bought a pair.
Same seller has regular Russian 6SN7s going for 20 bucks a pair. Go figure.

You are obviously totally ignorant of the sonic effects of metal bases.
They give a much sweeter sound

Yes, the sonic effects of the metal bases are very sweet, but the modern
ones without any base at all are even sweeter yet.

--
Regards,

John Byrns