Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Where Can We Register Our Complaints About Loudening Existing CDs?

On Feb 16, 9:00*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 10:59 pm, "Trevor" wrote:

The original vinyl(and cassette of that time) are a lot CLOSER - not
exact - but closer - to what the studio master sounded like. *That's
what should be aimed for. *As I've said repeatedly, digital leveled
the playing field with none of the hiss issues of tape, the noise/low
freq. issues of LPs, and a dynamic range equal to cassette's and LP's
COMBINED. *And what do these idiots- Excyoooz me - "ENGINEERS" do?

Well you have the part about bad sounding media being an
artistic/business/enginering issue and not any inherent problem with the
basic technology.

But did the majority of CDs sound worse than the corresponding LPs and
cassettes? Horsefeathers. Reality is that sometimes the analog sounded
better but mostly the digital sounded better.

All generalizations are false, and that applies very well those
generalizations that compare digital and analog media.

_____________________
I didn't intend to generalize, except with regards to most "Greatest
Hits" and "Remastereds" I've heard - and ANALYZED via Pro Tools or
Audacity.

And when I found out that even some "original" CDs - of the original
albums themselves, had the bloated and/or brickwalled waveform
appearance to their tracks - I knew something was wrong.

So I don't want this degenerating into a debate over CD vs LP(heaven
knows there's enough heated threads about that debate out there
already!!).

I'm just trying to bang a pot, before its too late, that some really
great works out there may never be heard in all their glory after
enough decades have passed. And to me, an unaltered non-remastered
"Bohemian Rhapsody"(Queen) or the aforementioned "Someone Saved My
Life Tonight"(Sir Elton John) sound great no matter what sized
speakers I play them on - because they were engineered/mastered
properly!

As an aside, I'm hearing a lot of people saying how much more details
they can hear on the 2009 Beatles Boxed Sets, particularly on the
Stereo version. Hmmm. I wonder why! I'll pass - my 1980s
era releases are just fine.

-CC