Jayson Peterson

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
On 4 Nov 2004 04:30:28 -0800, (Bob Ross) wrote:

"Jayson Peterson" wrote in message

hlink.net...
"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in

message

I could literally
zero beat every note and then "convolve" the note to sound like it did

in
the original recording, but this takes many months to do properly. One
thing that does seem to help is if I have something generating

harmonics
that are somewhat close to the original, then I can start making

progress.

What is this verb "to zero beat" that you're using? I've never heard
that expression.

I suppose it's an old amateur radio term, to tune an oscillator to
something like a WWV transmitter standard frequency. If you listen on
a receiver, as two similar-strength frequencies get within about 10 Hz
of each other, the background noise goes in and out at the difference
frequency, so it's easy to tune an oscillator to within a fraction of
a Hz of the other. Tuning a musical instrument to a frequency standard
(or a pitch on a recording as Jayson os apparently discussing) is done
in a similar way, changing the pitch of one so it matches the other
without any 'phasing' or 'chorusing.'

That's correct and you explained it better than I did above. The
frequencies aren't phasing, they're matching. This can be done with two
different speakers, feeding one with the original signal and the other with
the sound I am trying to match to the original. Then, I change the pitch of
either until they are both matched. I guess this is old fashioned and comes
from Ham radio days, but I know in fact that sound effects from the past
have been lifted from Ham radio frequencies. There is a peculiar
modulation, for example, found within the 80 meter Ham band that is
identical to the Star Trek hand phaser sound from the 1960s series, or the
CHU Canada time station tones used in several of the original Star Wars
movies.

Jayson

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley