Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default A Stupid Idea

On Apr 20, 12:16*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
On Apr 19, 6:04*am, Bret L wrote:

At my wesbite I have around 100 odd different types of OPTs for sale
at prices similar to the lowest common denominator *prices charged by
Hammond Engineering. The OPT mainly have C-cores and plenty of
interleaving but the interest from DIYer is almost ZERO.

In fact the total weight of all the transformers I have for sale is
over 1 tonne, and after 18 months I have sold two pairs and used
another two pairs in amps I have made for customers. At this rate when
I die in 10 months or 10 years there will still be a huge pile of
unsold trannys here and they will all go to the re-cyclers for the
cppper and iron if nobody buys them, and I strongly doubt anyone ever
will, even if I reduced the price by -12dB.

*Last I checked you were wanting considerably more than new Lars
Lundahl items. Those are a known quantity. I'd buy some if the price
were right, certainly at just over scrap price.

I think your'e wrong about my pricing, and it depends whach OPT you
want and the wieight and so on. Damned If I could afford to give the
stuff away.
Hammond charge more than I do. I always though Lundahll were more
expensive than Hammond
By the time you add in freight and GST, the cost of what I have is
less than Hammond which has already been shipped here by sea.

But most of the potential market is abroad so it has to be shipped
the other way. If you included shipping it might be attractive for US
or European customers.

The other problem s you have a lot of different pairs of two each
instead of a big bunch of the same. usually MOST DIYers want a known
design that appeals to them and then buy the transformers that fit it.
Sad to say there are US vendors selling a couple of hundred Dyna ST70
copies a year each because people actually use them in new builds even
though they stink. Of course are replacement for existing ST70s too.
If you had a lot of one you could build one unit around it, advertise
it for a huge sum, then people would build clones of it and feel their
sense of larceny satisfied.

If you advertised "These will fit________" (insert establisnhed unit
like marantz 9, VTL, ARC, what have you) this would help provided this
was actually true.