Posted to rec.audio.tech
TonyP TonyP is offline

Default DIY interconnects.

Richard Crowley wrote:
"TonyP" wrote ...

I have read a lot about the DIY interconnects on various sites. There are
many different types of cables and connectors mentioned, along with about
how "great" they are. So, I decided to give it a try.
My question to those that are "in the know" is:

1. Cables, Mogami, Canare StarQuad, or Belden 89259 (which seems hard to
get).

2. Connectors: Canare F9, Eichman bullits, or generic.

Reasons for you choices would help a lot so I have a better idea of the
"whys".

What is your definition of "interconnects"?
Is this for a home studio? a commercial studio? on the road?
Is this for semi-permanent wiring on the back of the equiment?,
Or something like a patch bay with frequent changes?
Can we assume that you are talking about RCA, unbalanced cables
(based on the type of connectors you mentioned)?
Why would you use 2-conductor (or 4-conductor) shielded
wire for RCA interconnects?
My preference would be whatever cable works best with the
selected connectors.
I would consider "premium" connectors only for heavy-duty
applications on the road, or frequent patch changes, etc. Else
seems like expen$ive overkill for no benefit.

The warnings about how "fragile" the Eichman connectors would
convince me to stay away from them. All downside and no benefit
from the looks of it.

I have read so much about DIY cables for home audio, I figured I would
give it a shot and listen for myself. The cost of the ones I listed are
certainly not budget busting by any stretch. These would be in my stereo
or HT system. RCA connections.
Just something to toy with on a cold winter evening.