Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default SACD recommendation

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:31:21 -0800, Ed Presson wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for your comments and explanations.

I've been listening to the Oppo BDP-95 quite a bit since I have a seven-day
full return policy from the dealer-I want to explore all the aspects of the
unit. I hooked to an old TV to double check all the audio settings. Most
of the defaults were already set to my preferences, only the HDCD converter
was set to "off."

I cannot tell much difference between the Oppo and the Sony player (which
now only plays SACDs), except for the fundamentals of the deepest bass which
are firmer and more "located in the soundstage" than with the Sony.

The dealer suggested that I not make any final audiophile judgments until
the unit is "broken in." I'm a bit dubious about the need to "break in" a
player, but It is getting a lot of use since I'm home this week and my
stereo is set up in my work space where I spend most of my time.

Thanks again,

Ed Presson

The idea of "breaking-in" electronic components such as CD players,
amplifiers, preamps, etc. is pure nonsense. Even more nonsensical is the
notion of breaking-in cables. These are audiophile mythology of the highest
order.

Now it is possible that some components might actually require break-in: SOME
speakers, and SOME phonograph cartridges MIGHT benefit from being run-in to
make suspensions around speakers and attached to cantilevers of cartridges
attain their required amount of suppleness, but even that is necessary only
on a model by model basis. IOW, not all cartridges need to be "broken-in" nor
all speakers.