Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default SACD recommendation

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:18:12 -0800, Edmund wrote
(in article ):

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:00:45 +0000, Audio Empire wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:09:50 -0800, Ed Presson wrote (in article
):

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

I don't know a lot about the conversion techniques, but I would have
thought that the straight DSD to analog would have provided the most
accurate analog signal. What advantage might the DSD-to-PCM conversion
provide this listener?

None. It's another step, though. I have software that converts my DSD
(SACD format) recordings into LPCM for distribution to my clients.
Direct comparison shows the PCM to sound a little rougher on top and
little lighter in the bottom. If you didn't do a direct comparison, you
wouldn't even notice it.

I believe you but that is subjective, is there any way you can construct
and play a complex signal and measure the analog output in both DVD-A 192kHz
and SACD format?
I very much like to see such an output and see how PCM and DSD behave in a
real word.

You could probably measure the top-end roughness as increased
distortion - assuming that you had a distortion analyzer with
sufficient resolution. Dunno about the bass. Like you said, that's
pretty subjective.