Unless you would like to live in a fantasy world where all people are
equally sensitive, there is nothing offensive whatsoever about
suggesting that some people are more sensitive than others. It's a
simple fact of nature.

But there is something offensive about you telling us that your hearing
is better than ours. Especially when you aren't willing to put it on
the line.

bob

Where did you read that I wasn't willing to put it on the line? Of
course I'm willing to listen blind.

But apparently not willing to trust what you (don't) hear when you do.

What gives you that idea?

As an aside, would you please direct me to a report on a blind test
that was done under the following conditions:

- listeners experienced in listening blind

- listeners lived with components for a couple days at least, each
listening
session

Perhaps one of the oldtimers can fill you in on the details of the
Sunshine Trials, which I believe involved a high-end dealer's own
system, so he had plenty of time to become familiar with what he was
listening to.

Well, okay, but I really think there ought to be dozens of such
experiments if we can claim to have investigated this possibility. Note
that such a test would likely take 160 days or more.

As for "experience in listening blind," how is listening
any different when you don't know what equipment is producing what
you're listening to?

Well, badly phrased on my part. The distinction I make is not between
listening blind and listening sighted, but between all of the
following:

- listening to determine what you think of something A (could, and
should,
be done without knowing the identity of A)

- listening to compare A and B

- listening to categorize X and either A or B

I happen to think that these are different ways of using one's
attention, and that in particular "listening to categorize" changes
perception. If I am to be convinced of the relevance of blind tests, I
would like to see a large number of tests that controlled for these
variations in the use of the attention.

You are grasping at straws.

Well, no, actually I'm stating what I believe is true.

Mike