Pete Dimsman

Blind Joni wrote:
The problem is that the US 7% of the population consumes far, far more
than it's share of the worlds resources. And most of the those
resources belonged to other countries... it's a stacked deck, which is
why so much of the world resents America.

I understand this but aren't we BUYING those resources..we're not stealing
them.

You CAN'T put a dollar value on everything. There is a finite amount of
fossil fuel available, and we took a good portion of that while it was
still cheap. Because we have (or had) the money to pay for them, doesn't
change the fact that we have and continue to use an imporportionate
amount of those resources. Maybe "stealing" isn't the right word, you
can call it "taking".

And, in direct corralation to your premise, it still remains fact that
the conservation efforts starting now could, and should have been
started many decades ago. They weren't. Because, as you point out, we
had the "money" to abuse the situation, and it was in "big oils" best
interest to WASTE those resources. Just because we had the money, that
doesn't mean it was right. Or smart. Very SHORT TERM thinking. And the
present administration is continuing in that tradition.

I do honestly think the situation would be a little less critical right
now had Gore (been appointed) president instead of Bush. Of course we
will never know.