LuKeNuKuM

Default talk and then a shout

hello all,

when recording a mono vocal audio track which contains a verse which is
'talking level' and then for the next part (chorus) contains shouting -
whats the best way to do this?

the problem is, i need to turn the gain right down on the mic to leave
enough headroom for the shout but i dont want to do the verse/chorus in
different takes - to keep the natural feeling element. this means
obviously my verse is really quiet. or if i have the gain up, i have to
stand back from the mic which means the shout isn't in-ur-face enough.

i've thought about a hardware compressor between the mic and track, but
am wondering if this is really necessary?

i've tinkered with preset software compressions (which admittedly i
dont have a full understanding of), but then im concerned im bringing
the verse level up too high and the chorus loses its impact.

could anyone provide me with the kind of settings i should be looking
for - im using cubase 2, so i can use the inbuilt VST as an example.
many thanks

Luke