George Jones - Logic7

Default No more about Pro Audio and Linux

Normally, I post to these groups from my XP desktop. One of my posts drew
the ire of someone who ****ingly responded with what looked like my header
showing I'm running XP... Whatever. I'm posting from one of my Linux boxes
so as not go through that b.s. again.

Anywho, this garbage about recording with Linux needs to stop. We need to
realize that certain platforms do certain things better than others. Right
now, Win32 and MacOS are a better choice for anyone looking to work with
audio and sequencing just like Win32 and Linux are bettwer choices for
anyone looking to do serious CGI/3D animation work. This could change in
the near future, but only if enough of the "influential" people in the
recording industry express an interest in using Linux for ProTools, Cubase,
Sonar, or anything else related to recording. The guy at home using a
crappy Audigy to "make beats" isn't going to be enough. The call for
Digidesign to support Linux is cool and all, but remember that this is the
same Digidesign that initially refused to support the PC in any way years
ago, then created ProTools NT for use on a select few PC's they tested it
on. Digi does not like to support a lot of platforms as it is. The Mac get
preferrential treatment because the hardware comes directly from one vendor
and they can work with that one vendor to make sure their products work
properly on that platform. If Digi DID support Linux, I guarantee you it
would be on one vendor's PC's with one distro and that's it. Yeah, better
than nothing, but a far cry from truely supporting Linux.

In order for audio hardware vendors to support Linux, there needs to be a
compelling reason to do it. If Steinberg were to port Cubase and Neuendo to
Linux and release ASIO driver specs as well, then we might see more
hardware vendors jumping on the bandwagon. 12 Tone/Cakewalk would find it
harder to do so since their product relies heavily on DX. Propellerheads
could test the waters with Rebirth, then Reason. Honestly, I really don't
see a real reason for them to NOT support Linux as their applications are
not tied to any API.

I think Linux can be a great platform for Pro Audio (Final Scratch proves
that to a degree), but there's going to be a long wait before we see any
type of commercial movement in that area. If one of the major players
decides to test the waters, the rest will follow as long as there's success
to be had with this platform.

--
George Jones - Logic7
http://www.geocities.com/labwerx