David Morton

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

In article 9B5xb.230431$mZ5.1739458@attbi_s54,
(normanstrong) wrote:

The question is similar to the question of what BNC or DVD stands for.
Most answers look for what the letters could stand for rather than how
they originated.

But while Bayonet Neill Concelman (and its friend Threaded Neill
Concelman) have the blessing of historical accuracy, they're so much less
*fun* than the modern myth of 'British Naval Connector'.

The latter interpretation - while being fur-lined & ocean-going ******** -
has that whiff of romance and charm about it: Think of salty old sea-dogs
trying to wire battleships together with RG58 as the morning mist rolls
over Scapa Flow.

In my latter days at the BBC I tried to fight the onset of terminal
boredom by trying to convince impressionable young engineers that it stood
for 'British Navel Connector'...with some success, sadly.