John Deans

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

I cant remember where but I once read that XLR meant "extra low resistance"
the connector was originally designed for instrumentation work before being
taken up by the audio industry originally made by ITT cannon hence they
where called cannons when I started in the audio world in the late seventies
and where available in 2 to 8 way versions

John Deans

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

Plausible, but far from certain. What is known is that XLR was a
Cannon (before ITT) part number. I've heard people say that LR
may have stood for "long reach" too, which is also plausible,
but unestablished. Usually, the only way you'd ever find out
what it "meant" would be to get the skinny from some old timer
in the Cannon engineering department.

Who really cares? It's a part number and it doesn't have to mean
anything, and probably doesn't, really.

We have:
LA-2 (Leveling Amplifier)
RNC 1773 (Really Nice Compressor and the year McQ was born - not
really, but I forget the meaning of 1773, but it does have a
meaning)
3630 (Address of the Alesis factory at the time)
AG-440 (Audio General)

I suppose that XLR could stand for something, but I imagine that if it
actually did, someone would know. This is a pretty historic part
number.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )