Steven Sullivan

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

goFab.com wrote:
On 1 Jul 2004 00:54:32 GMT, in article , Steven
Sullivan stated:

actually, Becker and/or Fagan stated this; I simply quoted it.

By the way Absolute Sound is, IMHO, one nutty mag. Fads, feuds, crackpot tweeks,
purple
prose-laden gear reviews - it's all there. Although I am not familiar with your
work
specifically, I salute you for the great work you are doing on behalf of "golden
ear"
audiophiles and followers of the "high end". If there's any coupons left after
you shell out
for those x-thousand dollar speaker cables, you might want to consider buying
yourself a life.

It's all true! The "cult of Harry" is as weird as ever.

Unfortunately, Stereophile also grows progressively less readable with each
passing issue, IMHO. Part of the problem is that Mr. Atkinson seems reluctant
to exercise his editorial prerogatives; there is a definite sense of an absence
of strong leadership and the absence of an adult, guiding hand. As a result,
writers like Dudley, "Aural Robert" and certain others are devoting seemingly
ever-greater portions of their columns to political rants, domestic soap operas
and the like.

Better that, than endorsements of ridiculous audio tweaks/equipment, e.g.
Dudley's recent qualified rave for the magical 'Audio Collimator'.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.