Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

Default What *is* High-end?

wrote in message ...
Graham:

Let me know about your BMW around 80K miles or so (with specific
reference to the electical systems, central locking and dashboard
instruments). Until then, be quiet as even a Yugo had a fair chance of
that first 50K with minimal trouble. Also, let me know how your BMW
does in marginal driving condtitions as a pretty front-heavy RWD
vehicle. How does that back-end do? (And a Mercedes RWD wouldn't do
much better, I agree).

My BMW has now done 125k miles, and is fine. Uses no oil, and everything
works as new. As to it being front-heavy, I don't know where you got that
from, they have a virtually perfect 50-50 weight balance, and I would rather
have my 5 series in the wet or ice than a FWD. At least I can control
oversteer, there's not a lot you can do about understeer. AWD would be nice
though.

New does not necessarily equal "better". There are those who would deny
the CD as not equalling vinyl (not me, but there are those). And for
the record and for the life of me, I do not "get" SET, unless my sole
goal were to listen to restricted source at low volume. It can be
Ethereally Beautiful (how often have I said that??). But, with all due
respect to the species, a decent little PP EL84-based amp dropped in
place of the SET amp (all behind a curtain, of course), and I defy
anyone here to tell the difference... until some challenging source
comes along, of course. Then the SET system will fail when the fleas
get tired.

I think a SET will make itself obvious even without challenging source
material. Even on simple stuff, for your "Ethereally Beautiful" I would
substitute " highly coloured".

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA