Posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default [CM] Headphones - Hearing aids

On 22/04/2017 2:54 AM, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:00:07 +1200, geoff wrote:

On 20/04/2017 9:34 PM, Trevor wrote:

Actually they are just an amplifier, active equaliser and compressor
with various stored custom settings like the ones you mention.
What really ****es me off is that it is so simple now to have Bluetooth
control from your mobile phone over all parameters of a hearing aid.
Sadly there are no aids available that do that simply because the
Audiologists want to keep their huge profits from fitting and adjusting
the aids. And some of the ones that do have control over volume and
mode settings via Bluetooth only work with iPhones because they are too
slack to write the apps for Android.

Or maybe they don't want every know-all Tom Dick and Harry further
damaging their hearing by inept use and settings ?

+1

It might interest you to know that the classic 20KHz "Upper Frequency
Limit of Human Hearing" is derived from the point on the Fletcher Munsen
response curves where this upper frequency corresponds to both the
highest detectable single tone frequency and the the threshold of pain
(aka dangerously high SPL).

As we age beyond our early twenties, this upper limit where we can sense
a single tone frequency at the maximum safe SPL threshold drops in
frequency.

And you really think this is not common knowledge? You could have added
it is worse for males than females if you just want to state the obvious.

Continuous exposure to high SPLs accelerates this reduction in
the maximum frequency limit of hearing in each individual's case. It's
quite important to tailor a hearing aid's frequency response and gain so
as to avoid needlessly doing more harm than good.

What a load of crap, most hearing aids don't go past 8kHz. The damage is
already done by loud rock bands and perhaps using MP3 players at
excessive levels. Still I agree for people like yourself who are
apparently unable to do the job properly, better leave it to a
professional. I guess you have an audiologist adjust you HiFi volume and
TV volume control as well! :-)

FWIW, there IS one company who provides self programmable aids and the
software to do it, Blamey-Saunders. I bet their customers are told what
not to do as I would expect. And I bet they like having control
themselves. People who don't have far more alternative choices though. :-(

Trevor.