John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Jan 27, 3:25*pm, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
King Kong;951098 Wrote:

Who has built a EL156 SE? I guess it needs feedback due to the nature
of pentode, right?

Please advice. Just bought few Chinese made Valve Art EL156 (octal
base).

The EL156 appears to be a rather high powered TV Horizontal Sweep tube.
But the specs given on the data sheet while in PP pentode operation look
quite good. The same in PP Triode mode.

It is most certainly not a sweep tube: it was developed specifically
for audio applications and in particular the Neumann cutting lathe
head amplifiers. It has an unusual ten pin base.

An "octal EL156" is a ******* tube and an unnecessary one since the
correct socket can be had for a few dollars.
Still make a damn good sweep tube, just as the 807 & 6L6 did in the early daze of analogue TV. And safer for HV operation on that strange base than on octal.

However, unlike most sweep tubes the mug1g2 is high at 15 like the EL34. So doesn't need much signal to drive it to full power.

Would I build an amp with EL156? Not too likely. I like things that may still be available down the line a bit. But all looks interesting just the same.

My 2€, anyway. Cheers, John