Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce

Default Wireless systems

On 18 May 2006 00:22:08 -0700, wrote:

Hey all,
Here's the posish: we have a whole lot of sennheiser wireless kit
running around (microphones) in our church hall. We have a whole lot of
base stations, most of which operate in the same range of frequency.
Now, we have a little recording studio on the side where we record
verious things during meetings - in order to avoid the complicated
wiring, we have been using some of our 'spare' diversity recievers to
pick up the signal running from the wireless tie, hand and headmics.
The problem is that every time we buy new mics its kind of pot luck as
to the frequency range we will get. Is there anyone who makes diversity
recievers that have a wide UHF range so we could buy a whole load and
not worry about the transmitter range? Any thoughts?

The use of radio microphones is regulated and licensed by Ofcom,
through the Joint Frequency Management Group
www.jfmg.co.uk
They are a helpful bunch and will tell you what you need to do both to
stay legal and find the best sources of microphone systems that aren't
scattered all over the frequency range.

There is research going on right now into digital radio mics, although
it is having problems because the data needs to be compressed to fit
the radio channels, and currently the latency is unacceptable for use
in live performances.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com