Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Anybody up on wireless in-ear monitor systems?

RickRyan.com wrote:
Very good point about the limiter. What I'm really after is some cheap
transmitter that can be put in place and left at this venue. I also
want something so that any of the other musicians can make use of it
without them having to come to me to borrow my receivers. I figured,
with FM, anybody can bring their walkman in with either their
custom-molded in-ears or some of the cheapies you get from the music
store (mine were $100) and it'll work. It sure is a lot better than
killing your ears with floor monitors and the sound's much better to
boot.

Problem is that the taper kids will discover it and start taping off
an FM receiver in the parking lot. I've already seen this going on
with VHF monitor feeds, but FM broadcast band makes it easier.

I'm looking to set this up at two different clubs where I work on a
regular basis. I found a unit that I ordered today
(http://mobileblackbox.com/content/view/31/54/) that has a 150+ ft
range and is less than a buck. BTW, I've been running my in-ear volume
really low so limiting hasn't been much of a concern so far. My ears
sure are better when I get home now.

I am skeptical how legal it is if it has such a range, or perhaps I am
skeptical of the range claims. Most of those devices use the Rohm BA1404
chip, which actually doesn't sound so bad but which has something like
10 mW output.

There are some boxes out there from guys like Panaxis which are patently
illegal for use in the US. Part of the problem, though, is that the law
is defined saying that you can radiate a certain field strength at the
end of your property line, not that you can have a particular field strength
or input power at the antenna. This makes it hard to know if you are
operating legally or not.

One thing I just thought of... disabling the stereo generator and going
mono is a BIG WIN with broadcast FM. Something like 26 dB more quieting
as I recall.