Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

Default Single CMC5/MK41 for micing an acoustic guitar?

wrote in news:1142600454.036089.133900
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy. I'm getting the Great River
MP-2 preamp. Only thing is, I'm not sure yet whether my budget will
stretch to two Schoeps CMC5/MK41 mics. One is definitely possible.

Mono will make a fine recording. Stereo can be more interesting, but only
in a good room. With stereo you back off and record the room with the
guitar. If it introduces artifacts you don't want, you're better off with
mono.

This will be fed into a LynxOne soundcard. I vaguely remember someone
here (Ty Ford?) mentioning that a single well mic'd guitar can be a
wonderful thingWith this quality of signal chain, will I lose a lot by
recording using a single mic to begin with and then adding a second
when budget permits?

On the RAP5 compilation there is a recording of acoustic guitar with a
CMC6-MK41 recorded very close (less than 1 foot) with the mic perpendicular
to the guitar. The off-axis response is so good that it sounds like a
recording from head-on about three to five feet away without the room
problems.